Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

To lean or not to lean...

I am addicted to pictures that stand on edge. Maybe it stands for my personality I don't know. After a couple people brought it to my attention that so many of my photos are shot at an angle I began to analyze my shooting style. I set my camera up, ISO, Aperture, light metered ready to go. Ok nothing odd there. Subject in view? Check. Camera up to the eye in standard horizontal position, aaaaaand tilt. Picture after picture my world stands on a corner. I'm not completely sure where it started. I have heard people here and there say that it adds interest to shoot this way. I had a instructor define it this way: the eye likes triangles. So basically when you shoot "on edge" you've created triangles on all sides if your subject instead of the standard rectangles. My brain literally does not think, or see inside the box. It sees in triangles. I love the look, and 9 times out of ten given the exact same subject I will choose a picture taken on the diagonal better than on taken at the standard 90 degrees. It has been brought to my attention (very lovingly :) that not everyone shares my obsession with triangles. So I have been very conscious when shooting lately to try and mix it up. I hope you will now notice this detail and appreciate my efforts to take pictures in a variety of ways, and not just the ones that are my favorites. That being said, here's an example to show you what I'm talking about. First, you will see a picture taken with the standard portrait orientation through two pillars. Not completely straight on, but relatively "rectangle -ish." The subject is the beautiful reflecting pond in balboa park and the great architecture that surrounds it.


Next is a picture taken in the same spot but with the columns at a more extreme angle .


The subject? Nothing really, maybe a reflection of a piece of a building.  Then why do I like this one so much better? Triangles!!!! I'd like to get your opinion on the matter, how do you feel about triangles?

No comments:

Post a Comment